Re Dashpot oil

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re Dashpot oil
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 07:03:37 -0800
>79 spit....is there a dashpot oil heaven? where does this oil go?
>every hour or two of running, i can top off my su dashpot oil
>w/ a few cc's....5-10.....where does all of this oil go? to the same
>place my sock ends up as it passes through the laundry???
>any help is appreciated....r bonilla...colorado
I've had the same problem on my 70 GT6 with Strombergs, although it normally
takes a few days of driving until I have to top them up - You'll hear about
the "O" ring at the bottom perishing then leaking and while that will
certianly contribute to the problem replacing the "O" ring won't cure it.
The carb's I had (original equip) do not have an "O" ring, in fact are not
drilled through at all.  These are the non adjustable, biased needle
emmission (garbage in IMHO) carb's.  I still wonder with no place for the
oil to be "sucked" through (diaphrams in new condition) where it all goes!
All I can figure is it is being washed/splashed on the bores and into the
carb that way.  Have sinced replaced the carbs with NEW adjustable needle
Strombergs and still have to top up as often. As a side note I (when I had
the old 1300 in it) had twin SU's on the Spitfire and rarely had to top them
up.  It originally had the single Stromberg with the same problem. Go figure!

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)