Re: TR250 Frame Repair

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR250 Frame Repair
From: joe woprsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 20:16:20 -0800
Richard Fontaine (ENG) wrote:

> david;
> re ;rust inside chassis..when i did my mgtc chassis in 1982,i was in
> ft.walton bch, fl..a friend suggested a product called "ospho" sold in
> boat shops.it has blue color, viscosity of water, you can spray it inside
> the box rails and it kills the rust..shot paint over it and it hasnt
> failed yet.i used it on all surface rust even after blasting, as rust
> comes back quickly on untreated surface..
> best of luck with project
> dick fontaine
> 48mgtc
> 62tr3b
> if it aint steel, it aint real

OSPHO (Phosporic Acid) is great to treat rust with or prep a slightly
rusty surface (not scaly) before painting,(auto body paint stores sell it
in a very weak solution as a metal prep) but it really needs to be
painted after treating if exposed to the elements.  It converts the rust
to iron phospate which won't rust. This makes a good barrier to rust as
long as it is intact. I have used it many times but the rust always comes
back in time if not painted.

The best thing to use to protect the interior of frames is one of the
waxy based rust coatings.  Waxol may be a good product but I've not seen
it.  I have used a regular products obtained from body shop suppliers
that tends to run a little before settling down.  That way it will
penetrate into cracks and crevaces.  Some times I thin it a little to
make it run better.

An old Dutchman I knew about 25 years ago used to use Linseed oil
(unboiled I believe) it would run and penetrate everywhere.  He had one
of the most beautiful 34 Fords I have ever seen.

Joe Worsley
80 TR8 DHC
Tupelo, MS