Re: TR4 wiper arms

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 wiper arms
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 00:37:53 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Tim Clayton wrote:

> I recently ordered a wiper arm for my 62 TR4 from TRF - I got a crooked
> (approx 40 deg) from TRF that looked like what PO had on one side - but
> shorter...
>
> Then to finish car out - I was placing an order with Moss - and got a
> STRAIGHT wiper arm for the other side!
>
> Can anyone tell me what is supposed to be original??  I personally prefer
> the straight one from Moss - looks like it ought to be the original design
> at least.  The other difference - the crooked one from TRF has a screw at
> bottom whereas one from Moss does not...

The original setup called for one of each.  Assuming yours is a left hand
drive car, the passenger side arm should have a fairly sharp bend in it,
and the driver side arm should be almost straight.  The bend in the
passenger side arm allows the blade to lie parallel to the bottom eghe of
the windshield when the wipers are parked.

Don't know about the screw on the TRF arm.  The originals were held on
with spring clips.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.