Re: Spitfire Brake Springs

To: John Matthews <prabir@best.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Brake Springs
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 12:35:29 -0500
Cc: "Barry H. Adams" <badams@cyberport.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
John Matthews wrote:

> Barry,

> Try putting the springs on before you put the shoes on the cylinder.
> I've found that by carefully assembling the shoes and springs, then
> placing onto the cylinder & adjuster it makes life much easier. Yes it
> does take a steady hand, but when it works you will be pleased.
> Just another trick I've never seen in any manual, but seems obvious
> after you do it.

I have always used the above technique to put them on, as well. I
didn't know there was any other way; it seems to me some manual in
my pile indicated to do it this way -- it may have been my manual
for my '73 Ford Maverick (since retired) as that was the first
car I replaced brake shoes on -- about once a year with four-wheel
drum brakes and a 3800lb car.  Since then, I've just always
replaced the shoes in this fashion.

--ken
'74 TR6 Daily Driver
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org