Re: TR 6 Differental drain plug

To: kbrown@trmx3.dot.ca.gov
Subject: Re: TR 6 Differental drain plug
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 21:30:58 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:20:45 -0800 Kenneth Brown
<kbrown@trmx3.dot.ca.gov> writes:

>On Tue, 18 Feb 97  21:31:45 EST  Mark  R. Anderton writes:
>
>snip>>>>
>>Since the unit has no drain plug, you might also use the
>>opportunity to drain it via the fill hole (TRF puts a drain hole/plug
>in
>>their rebuilt units).
>
>I have my diffental out of my car right now... is putting in a drain
>plug just
>a matter of drilling and tapping. If so where is the best place to
>locate the
>plug.
>
>Ken Brown
>TR250

"just a matter of drilling and tapping" sound like an
over-simplification.  These things are usually a half inch or larger and
they are pipe thread and it's going into cast iron.  Also, I would think
you wouldn't want to attempt it unless the guts were removed from the
case to avoid contamination from the resultant metal particles.

Mark Anderton

1972 Triumph TR6 (Getting ready for paint)
1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea - some people never learn)
1967 Jaguar XKE 2+2 (latest acquisition)
1966 Morris Minor (everything a car should be)
1971 Land Rover (Farm use)
1967 Daimler V8 Saloon (Be patient! I'm workin' on it)
1958 Velocette MSS (500cc single)
1987 VW Golf GTI (How did that sneak in here?)
1972 Grady White Chesapeake Mercruiser I/O