Re: Dipstick leaks

To: dano <dano@n-jcenter.com>
Subject: Re: Dipstick leaks
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 20:04:01 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
dano wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>        I have a minor problem with my 77 Spitfire.  Oil seems to be coming up
> from the oil dipstick tube area - the dipstick is not stoping it.  Two
> questions, is this normal, and what material to I use to replace that seal
> around the dipstick that seems to have deteriorated?
>
>                  Thanks in advance.
> Dano,

If the dipstick tube is the only place you're losing oil, there's a cheap
felt washer available (VB, TRF, etc.) that fits under the dip stick cap.
Don't use anything that will completely seal that hole. The engine needs
to run with a slightly negative crankcase pressure. That opening acts as
a vent.

If you've got oil seepage from other areas, like the front seal and pan
gasket, you'll want to take a real close look at your crankcase
ventilation system. Like I said, Spit engines need to run around 2-3
pounds of negative pressure. Remove the oil filler cap and rig a
temporarily air tight plug with a vacuum gauge attached. Check the
reading with the engine at idle. Anything from 0 to a plus pressure will
indicate a clog crankcase vent system.

Charlie B.