Re: TR3 Crank support - Help

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 Crank support - Help
From: "Keith A. Edwards" <kedwards@norfolk.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 11:59:59 -0800
Cc: Jack I Brooks <jibrooks@juno.com>, "Kinderlehrer's" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
>From the digest, I read:

>Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 21:28:14 -0500
>From: kinderlehrer@mindspring.com (Kinderlehrer's)
>Subject: TR3 Crank support - Help
>
>Jack,
>
>If its the part I think you mean and it's anything like mine, it is shaped
>like a miniature quonset hut, rounded over the top and flat on the bottum.
>It bolts to the sheet metal behind the grille with what appears to be a
>single stud in the bottum of the peice,  It is about 1 and a half inches
>high and 1 and a half inches deep, that is through the hole that the crank
>goes through.  The pan that it mounts on actuall has a depressed area that
>it fits in and supports it.  This area appears to be reinforced somewhat.
>
>Hope this helps.  Putting a hand crank on this car was probably one of the
>most insightful things the designers did.
>
>Bob
>

>>To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
>>Subject: TR3 Crank support - Help
>>From: jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks)
>>Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 22:14:53 EST
>>Sender: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
>>
>>I am missing the support for the hand crank which installs behind the
>>grill on a TR3 and is used to keep the hand crank from fouling the grill.
>> I finally located one, I think, but I am not sure if I have the right
>>part, 'cause I've never seen one.
>>
>>Can someone who knows exactly what this part looks like, please send me a
>>detailed description.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Jack Brooks

Jack,

I agree with the description that Bob Kinderlehrer gave you.  In addition to
the crank support
being held to the sheet metal with the single stud and nut, there also should
be a pair of ~5/16"
rods, threaded at the lower ends and with an eyelet hole at the top.  A bolt
goes horizontally
(and transversely) through the bottom of the crank support, also passing
through the eyelet at
either end.  The lower ends of the threaded rods will have nuts on the end, but
they pass through
small angled brankets welded to the frame crossmember.  The rods sort of form a
triangle, to
provide the additional support that the sheetmetal of the front nose cannot.

If this is not clear, write me for additional clarity, etc.

Keith "with a fouled crank hole, anyway" Edwards
Suffolk, VA
kedwards@norfolk.infi.net
2 '62 TR3Bs
2 '67 TR4As