Brake "Squeal Deterrent" Grease

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Brake "Squeal Deterrent" Grease
From: "Barry H. Adams" <badams@cyberport.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 06:16:46 -0700
I'm getting ready to redo the brakes on my 74 Spitfire.  In the brake kit
package for the front disks is a small packet of Lucas "Squeal Deterrent."
The instructions say "Apply grease sparingly to pad backing plate and
shims......"

What are they referring to as the "pad backing plate?"  Is this the metal
plate that the pads are afixed to?  Is this grease applied to both sides of
the anti squeal shims eg both the side facing the caliper and the side
facing the pads?  I get a little nervous when applying grease to brake areas.

My manuals say nothing regarding this grease.

Barry H. Adams
74 Spitfire