TR3A Spark Plugs

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR3A Spark Plugs
From: "Dahman, Ken" <Ken.Dahman@Anheuser-Busch.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:58:18 -0600
TR3 Drivers,

I have been following the thread Re: TR6 spark plugs and a question
arose about TR3s. I am using
Champion RL87YC plugs as a replacement for the original, listed in the
owners manual, Champion
L10S plugs. The RL87YCs are not off the shelf items but I can order them
from the neighborhood parts store and get them in a day or two.

My TR3A runs a little rich and seems to like it that way but, on
occasion, when the choke sticks, it starts to foul the plugs and
backfire. It is not a big problem, solved by pushing the needles down
and remembering not to pull the choke out so far. However, even when not
experiencing choke problems,
the plugs run black. The TR6 discussion string brought up the question
of whether hotter plugs would help reduce the black build up on the
plugs and if so, what were the brand and code numbers to use.

In a similar topic, I was told that the R in the Champion RL87YC
designated a Resistor plug and was I sure that I needed this type. Since
I was told that this was the replacement for the L10S, I said yes.
But a question arose as to what is a resistor plug and why does the TR3
( stock positive ground electrical system, no radio) need one.

Anybody on the list care to clarify either or both subjects?

Thanks,

Ken.Dahman@anheuser-busch.com
1959 TR3A
Ballwin, Missouri