Re: Turn signals

To: Tim Clayton <clayts@vegasnet.net>
Subject: Re: Turn signals
From: Spitfire 1500 <spitfire1500@dalton.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 00:05:54 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tim Clayton wrote:

> OK - slowly but surely I'm getting to the bottom of this....  I feel I have
> narrowed the problem with the right side directional signals to the switch
> on the column (odd that my horn didn't work either, huh).  Unfortunately my
> 2 tech manuals say little or nothing about getting to that switch.  So I
> immediately proceeded to remove steering wheel and incrementally remove
> stuff.  NOw it seems DPO had forced a Moto-lita without splines onto an
> inner column with splines (great detective work - oh yeah there were metal
> shavings sitting underneath the horn button!) - well the car drives fine but
> I can't get the dang wheel off to get to the turn switch....  Now I suspect
> all my remaining electrical problems lie in the upper column near the wheel
>
> Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

You didn't say, but have you tried a wheel puller?  I don't know how
badly you would like to keep the Moto-Lita wheel, but one thing to try
if all else fails, is to heat the steering column enough to expand the
metal in the column and in the steering wheel.  Then cool the column
quickly.  If you hurry, you can pull the wheel straight off.  Don't know
how well this works, or if there could be any damage to the wheel.  But
a friend of mine did this on a Fiat in a junkyard, he didn't need the
wheel, just some switches, he said it worked OK for him.  I would only
try this as a last resort, as I personally don't know the outcome, I
cannot recommend it.

Hope this helps.

Ron N.
Dalton, Ga
http://named.dalton.net/~spitfire1500
77 Spitfire 1500 - undergoing cajones transplant
6? Vitesse convertible
92 Ford Tempo GLS V6 (Ultimate Q-ship!)