Re: More diff. questions (Spit)

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: Re: More diff. questions (Spit)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:35:29 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On 19 Feb 1997 Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:

> Well, now Iım doing some dangerous thinking.  Soon to embark on a leaf
> spring replacement, Iım wondering whether my ŞborderlineŞ differential
> ought to be replaced simultaneously, since the spring exchange is a lot
> of work, and Iıd prefer not to revisit that area anytime soon.

Well, let's see. Jack up rear of car. Peel up the carpet, undo a few
screws and pop off the access plate. Undo four nuts on hold-down studs,
and two bolts through the "eyes" of the spring. Remove old spring
assembly. Reverse procedure with new spring assembly.

[OR]

Jack up car. Do above. Then also undo 12 nuts/bolts on drive flanges, two
nuts on front mounts, that darned bolt (maybe 8-10ft. long) that holds the
rear of the diff. Lever it about, drop it on your chest. (Well, that's how
I always used to do it. Probably should have borrowed a baseball umpire's
vest, eh?) Catch breath, wrap cracked ribs, then reverse procedure.

Time estimates: for spring, maybe an hour. For diff., maybe twice that or
more?

> Q:  Are there occasions where a differential will outright fail, or (as
> long as theyıre lubricated properly) do they just get sloppier and
> sloppier?

Only one I ever had fail outright was because a then-16-year-old hippie
freak had neglected to maintain the oil level, and the diff. finally
locked up. Best rubber streaks a stock Herald ever left on pavement!

> My car has (allegedly) about 80K on it.

Yes, but where was it on the night of January 16, 1986? ;-)

--Andy

perhaps feeling just a bit silly today....