Re: tires for a '65 spitfire

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: tires for a '65 spitfire
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 07:24:44 -0800
Ed writes:
> I am about to put new tires on my spit.  now would be the best time to go
> to a bigger tire if i ever wanted to.  I wanted to know if anyone thought
> there was any real reason to go from the stock tires to a wider tire.
Well besides looking better (personal preference) It will improve handling,
and braking.  If it is a stock Spitfire, with stock rims you won't be able
to go much over 165/R13, especially with MKIII and earlier.  I presently run
this size on my GT6+ with wire wheels and have no real problems (just a
slight rub on the right side fender lip under real hard cornering).  Could
have ground the lip slightly but as I had already painted the car, well ( I
may still do it, thats' what touch up paint is for right?). . .With wider
rims, different offsets and a little tweaking here and there you can go as
high as 205/60 R13's.  As with the different sizes you may have to
re-calibrate your spedo as the different diameters will screw up the
calibration.

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)