Re: re road trip stories<970218190007_786120133@emout18.mail.aol.com>

To: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Subject: Re: re road trip stories<970218190007_786120133@emout18.mail.aol.com>
From: Richard Jackson <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 09:11:10 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Morning,

>re Johnny Storms' Stoneleigh report,I was there,and yes the overflow car-park
>was indeed muddy,but then it is an Stoneleigh NAC (National Agricultural
>Showground),so you might expect a little mud! The brass entry plaques were
>available free,from the (seriously undermanned) organisers office throughout
>the day,this was the third year of the show,and believe it or not,it was
>actually less crowded than before,but only because they had less cars inside
>than before.
>Personally,

The mud and gravel I had no problems with, but the apparent lack of
organisation in getting the cars into the showground was crap, I'm sure
Stoneleigh has more than the one entrance to use, why didn't they then?  It
seems that they enjoy taking your fivers, but intend to spend as little as
possible to make the show enjoyable.

although I love to see shiny-clean triumphs,I certainly would have
>to think twice about bringing my pride and joy out in such atrocious
>conditions...Cold,Wet & squally winds all day long-outside!

I personnally prefer to see the used sort, just like the yellow one Johnny saw.

>Remember,Johnny,the owners had to get to the show,down those wet & muddy
>country roads,clean their cars & then get home again & do it all over
>again

Hmmm, think I forgot to do that to my car. :-)

>Now,I am have no connection with the organisers of the incredibly popular
>Stoneleigh show,but it is intended to be more of a seriously useful
>triumph-only autojumble/fleamarket than anything else,with dozens of traders
>& amateurs selling spare parts to help finance their triumph restoration
>projects,thus fulfilling an urgent need for the dedicated/desperate triumph
>enthusiast,in the winter restoration period,so they can get their car on the
>road for the coming summer!
>You did after all get parts you wanted,and seemed pretty damn pleased
>Johnny:-)

The only problem with this kind of show is that people seem to think that they
can shift any crap for an outrageous price to some unsuspecting punter, did you
see the light blue MkIV Spitfire outside, they wanted 4000 quid for it!!! I
wouldn't have given them half that for it, and there were also 2 red Spitfires
out there, the joker selling these was hoping(possibly praying) to get 1550 for
them, they were complete sheds with more filler/gobbo/snot/bondo/plastic
sh*t(delete as applicable) than in Liz Taylor's top drawer!!!  I upset the
seller by blatantly taking the p*ss out of them,  maybe I shouldn't have, but I
did.  To say these cars were bad is an understatement, my car's knackered and
looks it, it isn't hidden by badly slapped in filler(complete with rusty bits
sticking through) like these were, and I paid 200 quid for mine!!!

Ooops, think I got into mouth off mode there, Soz!!!

>Oh yes,and the organisers told me that they are looking for
>bigger,drier,convenient sites for future years shows.Do you have any ideas
>Johnny?                                Roll on summer and all the shows with
>the shiny cars to drool over!

How about the East of England ground at Peterborough? or possibly the
Agriculture show ground at Stafford where they hold the TSSC international?

Cheerio

Rich.