TR suspension bushes (poly..)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR suspension bushes (poly..)
From: jgillis@tcd.ie (John Gillis)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 08:46:59 +0100
Hi people it's been a while, but I have been working hard on my ever
lasting project. Here's the problem; after much brain churning and reading
of articles I decided to replace the newly installed nylon/with stainless
bushes for the polyurethane items. This was mostly down to reports of harsh
rides, road noise and squeaks which seem to be the norm. with the nylon
bushes. So with heavy heart I stripped my newly painted suspension back
down and ordered the polyurethane replacements. Now here's the question,
when the bushes arrived I discovered they were more in kin with the rubber
originals, (except they are bright yellow ! ) that is to say  they do not
use steel sleeves but are flanged at each end and sit directly on the pins.
The difference is the original rubber items came in two halves, so they
could be inserted into the wishbone one from each side, with the flange
butting against the outside of the hole, for want of a better word. However
the poly.. items are one piece, that is, they have a flange at each end, so
it would mean if they are to be fitted to the wishbone in one piece,
without cutting them in half to make them like the rubber items the flange
must pass through the hole and out the other side ???. Although I have not
tried yet this seems like a difficult task given their relative sizes. Has
anyone done this job and guide me in the right direction. Is there a
lubricant for these bushes that I should apply before assembly, silicone
maybe???. Thanks in advance.
John Gillis 1954 TR2 Long Door, getting the works
Trinity College,
Dublin,
IRELAND>