Re: Spitfire Transmissions

To: mggreen@awinc.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Transmissions
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 11:01:33 -0800
>I recently purchased a 68 Spit a wonderful roller skate, but there is
>a transmission problem. Under deceleration in third gear the gearshift
>jumps to neutral. This car has a later 4 synchro with overdrive-year
>unknown.
>No other trans problem is obvious, up and down shifts are smooth and
>O/D works in third and fourth.

>        Is this a common problem with these stanpart cars?
>        Could it be a problem with.
>                1. The selector shaft and plungers
>                2. Selector fork
>                3. Synchronizer springs and balls
>                4. Third gear locating circlip on mainshaft
>                5. Whatever?
>        Has anyone else had this problem?

I just happen to have my '62 Herald box spread all over the basement.
Best bets are 1 and 5. It's non-OD, but I believe the same basic box???

You can rule out 4, cause that circlip holds the whole mainshft gear set
together. Your problems would be much worse. # also. The balls and
springs hold the 3rd-4th sleeve in the neutral position. They're out of
play when its in either gear. 2 is also unlikely. The fork is a passive
player in gear selection. It transfers the selector shaft position to
the collar. No, somehow the plungers aren't holding the shaft with
sufficient force. So,

Either the spring behind the plunger is shot, the detent in the shaft is
worn away, or your shifter has so much slop in it that you're not able
to get the plunger all the way into the shaft.

My Herald was popping out of reverse. I'm pretty convinced the shifter
was to blame in my case, cause the reverse shaft was in the best shape
of the 3. Which makes sense for reverse.

Good luck.