Re: balist resistor

To: snake@cris.com
Subject: Re: balist resistor
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:03:59 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
snake@cris.com wrote:

> I am wondering if a 73 spit needs a ballist resistor.  The car starts and
> run great but there is no ballist resisitor.  Do I really need one.  The
> comm numbers are FM1531U
>
> thanks,
> Jake

> 73 Triumph Spitfire FM1531 U
> http://www.cris.com/~snake/

JAke the funtion of the ballast resistor is thus- At startup, it  is
bypassed by the cranking circuit, allowing full battery voltage across
the points to aid cold start. Once the starter is released, the ballast
resistor is online, dropping the voltage across the points. This extends
point life by preventing excessive arcing when the engine is running.
Your car will run w/o the resistor, but you'll be changing the pionts
more often.