Re: TR-3: Disturbing engine noise question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR-3: Disturbing engine noise question
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 16:29:55 -0500
John Cowan wrote :

 >>   The engine of my '60 TR-3 has started to make a very disturbing clatter
 >>when being started up cold  <snip >

and BArry Schwartz replied :

 >If it goes away immediately after the oil light/oil pressure builds than
 >it's more likely than not a rod bearing knocking -

and from all that I've heard in the way of advice, Barry is probably right,
and I'm curious about one thing:  when you took this car out of its 30-yr
storage, did you refill the engine crankcase with a high-detergent oil
like Rislone, and run a change or two of that through it in the first few
hundred miles ? (that is, a 25% Rislone mix, or whatever the label says)

Wouldn't this long-storage car, possibly with 30-yr-old oil in it, be a
candidate for some rather solid sludge build-up in the oil drillings in
the block or crankshaft ?  Also, does the oil gauge show good pressure
after warm-up ?  How about when cold-started ?  What weight oil do you
use, and are you in a warm climate or cool one ?  Just trying to help
here with the first questions that popped into my mind - I don't know
the 4-cyl TRs very well at all, but I think these same questions would
apply to any engine.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio