Re: dash replacement

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: dash replacement
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 14:41:33 -0500
Cc: McGaheyRx@aol.com, DANMAS@aol.com
I put a solid maple replacement dash in my '62 Herald convertible about
4 years ago. Used many of the techniques Dan Masters describes, except
that I used extra wood for the glovebox door after an unsuccessful
attempt to cut it out in place. Used an orange-ish stain or combination
of stains (don't exactly recall) and polyurethane on top. No cracks, and
it still looks great. I think the TR6 dash was darker though.

As to solid vs. laminated: My original dash was vandalized in '72 -
somebody apparently wanted to look in the glovebox without taking the
trouble to push in the little button on the lock. It's been awhile I
admit, but I recall it being solid. Somebody might look at the edge of
the glovebox door and door opening of an original Herald dash (Mr.
Mace?) to confirm or deny this.