TR7 Carbs / choke

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR7 Carbs / choke
From: "Gregory J. Edge" <edgr@mbari.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 07:37:27 -0800
It's been over 18 years and 203,000 near flawless miles since purchasing
my TR7 ('78 CA) so I have spent the last several months repairing or
replacing the little fidgety things that have gone awry.

I am now on to checking things such as gas mileage.  I pulled the
carbs and cleaned 'em up replacing the worn or replaceables that I
could identify.

Put a Unisyn to 'em after remounting and found it difficult to get
any sort of reliable readings unless the RPM's were up around 2000.

*** Question #1:  Is that the normal way to check the air flow? ***

On to the Gunson Color Tune check of the fuel mixture:  Forward
cylinders looked great, but the after ones seemed to be pretty
rich.  Tried adjusting the mixture with the little tool through
the top of the carb.  I could get a little better color, but it
took a little more than one complete turn to do it.  Thought I
better stop there and look for other problems such as a sticky choke.

*** Question #2:  How does one reliably determine the operation
    of these choke mechanisms? ***

Preferably, I would like some visual way to see that they operate
properly or are responding to any adjustments (?) that may be
available rather than relying on secondary results.

Compression is consistently between 115 to 120 on all cylinders.

Ignition recently refitted with new rotor, cap, wires, and coil.

During the clean up of the carbs, nothing unusual around the choke
mechanism was noticed.

*** Question #3:  Need a replacement interior door light.  TRF no
    longer carries it or is looking for a new supplier.  Any other
    suppliers you know of? ***

Perhaps some of you have some tips to offer.

Thanks.

Greg

'78 TR7 coupe (CA model) Original GD Owner