Re: TR6 Hardtop installation

To: monica <monica@snovalley.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Hardtop installation
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 22:56:40 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
monica wrote:

> Hi All,
>  I just bought a TR6 that came with a hard top and no installation
> instructions. I have both the Bentley and Haynes manual but niether
> has any info on installing the top.
>  Do I remove the soft top or can it be put on over it (taken down)?
> I'd also like to know if there should be a gasket or weather strip
> between the body and top covering the rear section? if so what size?
>  I have a new paint job on the car and am reluctant to experiment
> on my own.
>  Thanks for any help.
>  Jim Barbuscia

Jim

I currently have a hard top with all the correct hardware a seals. You
realy need to unfasten the rear attachment bar on your softop to get a
good fit. If your soft top snaps on like my 74 your ok, just unsnap and
drop the back of the top into the back with frame. Leave the frame
pivots in place.

My tops all had sealing strips (weather strips) at the lower sheet metal
portion of the top. at the rear there is a touchdown bumper to ride on
the painted surface. You can expect some maring of paint and make sure
you use all the right hardware, its still available. I have a production
cover similar to the hood cover that snaps into the hardtop to cover the
soft  top.

Glenn Franco

71 & 74 TR6