TR6 Head, temp. compensators

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Head, temp. compensators
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 11:02:17 -0600
Hi all,  this would be four cents worth of tech on Tr 6 intake systems.

I was very interested to read of the different castings and will soon
look at "my inventory" to confirm suspicions as to what I have.  What I
can say is that the worst casting ported and polished will flow better
than the best stock casting.  Everyone knows about the smaller exh.
valves in the late head and what to do when rebuilding the head but how
many people go to the trouble to really make the head flow?

TriumphTune in the UK sells the head for about $1500 Can$ - an awful
lot.  A TR6 comp. prep book by Kas Kastner sells for about $15 can.  The
cost of DIY work saves enough cash to buy a really good compressot, die
grinder, and carbide burrs as required.  Perfectionists may take up to
24 hours to do this job but a basic port matching can be completed in
about six hours.  Once completed,  there is a perfect match between
manifold, gasket, and head.  Further work involves hogging out the
intake, and cc'ing the chambers after removing all those sharp edges.
Go buy the book, it is self explanitory from there. (No, I don't get a
royalty)  Also has a lot of good info about ROD BOLTS (sorry, has to be
said - "...can be replaced with grade 8 or better...") cam selection and
suspension tuning.  Even talks about HEADERS!

BTW,  while the intake is the most inportant thing,  few people consider
the exhaust manifold as a source of power.  The 2 pipe outlet was good
enough for 150 bhp in England,  why not here?  Using the same care and
detailing on the manifold (both intake and exhaust, actually) you wil be
amazed at what you can do to improve the flow.

Tim Taylor said it best..."more power (grunt here please)"

Part 2:  temperature compensators.  My GUESS here is that the
temperature referred to is normal engine operating temperature.  Given
this is around 185 or so,  using this as the open / close point is
probably what those crazy emissions engineers had in mind.  I suspect
that the "sealed part do not touch" warning was as much for dealer
liability as parts sales.

Happy hi-po, lo emissions motoring

Dave Terrick
my cars run clean without smog stuff!

PS:  not only will improving the head flow give you more power, but
also  a cleaner more consistent burn, and better economy.  I had a 78
Fiesta wit ha Kent BCF3 rally cam and header that sniffed so clean at hi
idle they thought their new machine was broken!