RE: kill switch (LONG)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: kill switch (LONG)
From: Kris Cotton <krisc@pi.bns.com.au>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 00:43:13 +1000
At 13:43 05/02/97 +0000, you wrote:

>To keep my car thief proof I body work remains rusty and  snip
 starting require the grace of god and a good half hour.

>Johnny Storm
HI Gang & a couple of people, who since they threw everything at me
including their walking frames, most probably can't get around untill I send
them back.
DOWN to business
 the problem is that the idiots out there are having problems with the newer
cars now we have immobilizers fitted etc.etc. ( in Sth Aust . only 3 new
cars were stolen over the past few months, where as older cars without
protection have made the top of the list)
Most cars are taken for joyrides have the guts thrashed out of them, seats,
dash, wheels destroyed etc. unless of course they do as they do here, just
set fire to the car after use .
Surely it will not be long before if not allready
1 someone somewhere will require spare parts and ask certain groups to
procure for them: no questions asked.
as a result of this we come to
2 targetted cars are badly damaged to get at the parts due to the small time
alloted by the crims ( the longer they take removing a part the better the
chance of detection )
3 rusty looks like a derelict car gives credence to someone telling
passerby's that they are having trouble with the car and then people leave
them alone to keep working, when they should have called the cops had it
been a presentable car. possibly...?
This can go on for pages from the police files. In the US you may be better
protected as there are more cars to go around ie per head of population but
it has allready happened in Australia in a big way with classic bikes & to a
smaller extent with the cars
I do the neighbourhood watch newsletters & get to see some of the police
crime stats.
 Possibly the best way to protect the car is to wire it to the mains power
supply (stops those parking inspectors in their tracks. he he !)

Protection
1 a bank of 3 by 3 way switches to stop power reaching the coil
Pro's simple easily conected & disconnected
Against easily bypassed by wire direct from battery to coil, we also need to
stop them getting to engine .

2 another ignition device electronic makes the car appear to be out of
petrol or poorly maintained ie starts runs for 10-30 seconds & then cuts out
can be restarted and same thing happens again untill unit turned off.
Pro's relativly simple to make and fit hopefully crim won't think thats the
problem with the car and disconnect it.
Against if you do run out of petrol and think its the electronics playing up .

3 buy a proper alarm system and be done with it they are cheap enough these days
Tony.
SthOz.