RE: Starter Kill Switch

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Starter Kill Switch
From: "Barry H. Adams" <badams@cyberport.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 06:27:36 -0700
Ken:

At the offset I should think that the security of any kill switch will first
be dependent on having the hood secured/locked.

The security of the following methods depends on the above.

The easiest thing to do would be to simply install a battery cut off switch.
These are available almost anywhere and are easy to install on the battery.

Next you could do the following:  According to my manuals on a 77 Spitfire
there is a white wire w/red strip running from the ignition switch to the
starter solenoid.  This should be a small wire about 14-16 gauge.  This wire
supplies a low current to the starter relay in the solenoid, in other words
it controls the solenoid.

To identify this line with certainty disconnect it from the solenoid and
attach a voltmeter to it.  If you have the right wire then with the key on
(not in the start position, just turned on) there should be no current in
the wire.  With the key in the start position the wire should have approx. 12V.

Once you have the correct wire identified you can then place a switch in
series with it and the starter solenoid and hide the switch anywhere you like.

There may be others on the list that have other or better ways of doing this.

Barry H. Adams
74 Spitfire