Re: Dried Grease---Trunnions (TR6): oil or grease?

To: Gary Oehrle <oehrle@lsil.com>
Subject: Re: Dried Grease---Trunnions (TR6): oil or grease?
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 07:58:04 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, odd@triumphclub.se
Gary Oehrle wrote:

> Odd Hedberg
> what would you use to fulfil the term oil--3:1, 10w30? 20w, 50w
>  IS "HYPOID OIL" what I would call grease?
>  ??when does oil become grease ?
>  gary oehrle

Gary,
Hypoid Oil is the oil You put in Your gearbox (if it is manual...)
Usually in 90 rating, but sometimes in colder climes (like over
here just now) one uses 80 rating... (I wonder if anyone goes
around changing the oil in the gearbox, differential and front
trunnions/swivels in the late autumn??? Or in spring for that
matter...)
API GL4 Gearoil EP 90 will do just fine all year round for most
of our belowed Triumphs. And if You would like to be _very_
original, my recommendation is: "Duckham's Hypoid 90".
And Hypoid Oil is what Standard Triumph Co tells us to use...

Happy motoring
Yours
Odd

--

Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4        International liaison secretary,