TR-6 temperature compensators

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-6 temperature compensators
From: Steve Sutton <ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 14:48:16 -0800
Conversation-id: <BMSMTP8549229151ssutton@mail.ridgecrest.ca.us>
Posted-date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 14:49:57 -0800 (PST)
Greetings to all....

    It's a lovely day here in the Mojave Desert of California, 65 - 70F,
sunshine, no clouds in the sky and I'm stuck trying to sort out some
carburation problems with my '74 TR-6.  They are Stromberg 175CD-SEVX carbs --
standard fittment to all 74 model TR-6's.

The DPO 'adjusted' the temperature compensators (tc's) on the carbs where they
no longer work correctly and might be the cause of my intermittent 'lean'
burning problem.  I took the tc's off and noticed that one was stuck fully open
and the other would go from part open to fully open.  I tested them by putting
them in a pan of cold water and slowly increasing the temp of the water.

After taking them apart and getting the bimetallic strips to approx the same
contour,since they were bent due to overtightning, I have re-adjusted them so
they both now open and close in unison.  At 150F and below they are fully
closed, at 160F they are half open and at 175F they are fully open.

My question is does anyone know what the correct opening/closing temps should
be on these?  All my reference material says 'DON'T TOUCH'!.  What are the
performance implications if I just seal these shut?  What exactly are the tc's
supposed to do anyway?

As always, that to this great list for help!

Steve Sutton
74 1/2 TR-6 - daily driver!
ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us
35* 35' 39" N   117* 39' 44" W