Re: Remove/Refit Crankshaft Nut on 74 Spitfire

To: "Barry H. Adams" <badams@cyberport.com>
Subject: Re: Remove/Refit Crankshaft Nut on 74 Spitfire
From: Spitfire 1500 <spitfire1500@dalton.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 11:35:28 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry H. Adams wrote:

> I need to replace the timing gear oil seal and gasket on my 74 spitfire
> (something at the front of the engine is seeping/slinging oil).  What tool
> should I use to remove/refit the crankshaft pully retaining nut?
>
> This nut appears to be approximately 2-3" in diameter.  I can probably use a
> pipe wernch to remove it, but what do I use to refit and torque it??
>
> Also, does anyone know if a new timing gear cover (such as the one shown on
> pg 73 of the VB catalog) comes with the tensioner mounting bracket installed?
>
> Barry H. Adams
> 74 Spitfire

Barry,

DO NOT use a pipe wrench.  When I put a new timing set on my 77 Spit
1500, I had the same problem.  So, if you are going to do something, do
it right, with the correct tools.  First, go to NAPA or some other
better parts store (not Auto Zoned out, or unAdvanced Auto) and get a 1
3/4" socket and a 3/4" (socket) to 1/2" (torque wrench) drive reducer
(most torque wrenches are a 1/2" drive), around $20.00 for both. Also,
if you don't have a good torque wrench, buy one, 'cause just bolting
things down just don't work (I torqued all my bolts to the correct specs
and my Spit DOES NOT leak anything from anywhere!). Second, you will
need to lock the flywheel.  Many people do this putting the car in high
gear and setting the parking brake. Third, take off anything that looks
like it will be in the way (ie: fan, alternator bracket, etc).
Lastly, use the torque wrench and socket to remove the pulley retaining
nut.  Everything else is pretty straight forward. IMHO, I would also
replace timing chain, tensioner and sprockets while I had the cover off.
When replacing the pully retaining nut, make sure you torque it to 150
lb-ft or 204 Nm.

Have Fun!

Ron
--
92 Ford Tempo GLS V6 (Ultimate Q-ship!)

*          The opinions expressed above are not my own...          *
*                     they are someone else's!                     *