Re: TR6 Heater

To: Stephen Benelisha <steveb@verity.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Heater
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 15:37:25 -0500
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Stephen Benelisha wrote:

> Hello from the digest-
>
>   I just got the interior heater working on my '74 TR6. The little
> hoses that connect the heater core to the firewall through-tubes had
> burst on the PO years ago. The odd thing is that the heater hoses,
> and therefore the heater core, stays cool when the car is at idle.
> Only when the engine is up at about 2K RPM do things get hot -
> indicating that there is no water flow throuth the heater path
> at idle.
>
> Do I need to fix anything? Or is this just a normal TR heater?
> I've noticed that the entire path is above the water level so
> I assume that quite a bit of pressure must be required.

This is not normal.  The heater should get warm enough, even
just idling, for it to be unbearable on a hot summer day,
with the top down!

I say this from experience -- on my car the heater used to
not work at all due to hoses being misconnected.  When I
connected the hoses properly, and back-flushed the system, I
then got lots of good heat.  Only problem is that my heater
cable broke, and valve was aftermarket (broken), having been
replaced by a DPO.  So, now the heater is connected on my car,
but with no heater valve (I have a new one in a box), or
heater cable, so the heat is just "on" all the time.  I just
need to get a "round tuit" and buy a heater cable...

To cure the problems you are having, I would suggest backflushing
the cooling system.  Hook up the back-flush kit to the hose between
the firewall and the manifold inlet, and all will be well.  If this
hasn't been done in a real long time, I would suggest you first
do this with the engine off, and the hose from the firewall to
the engine block disconnected, so you get lots of flow through the
heater core, to clear the crud out.

Also, it would be good to repeatthis back-flush annually.  (I do
this each fall, before putting fresh water/anti-freeze in for
winter...)

--ken
'74 TR6 6-month Daily Driver  (had it out last week for a spin,
  boy does a TR6 ever get looks nowadays in New England in the
  winter on a 10-degrees F day...)

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |