TR7 Sluggish when Cold.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR7 Sluggish when Cold.
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@isocan.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 19:42:19 -0400
> here's the scoop,
> 1980 Tr7, cv, 2litre,
>  twin strombergs,
>
> PROBLEM: during the first while(warmup and beyond) the car has little
> power, especially when starting from a dead stop, rev up to 3k, let out
> the clutch(4speed, not 5 like it should have) and it bogs down to 600
> rpm and crawls allong till the rpms get up and a little power return
>
> ANYBODY SEE ANY MAJOR(or minor) FLAWS in whats happening here?

  Is your choke assembly working properly?

  For what it's worth, this is exactly what happens in my car when
I don't choke it properly. I'm not as familiar with TR7s as the older
TRs, but if it has an automatic choke check if it is working
properly.

  The choke problem is fairly painful to me actually. I park my
cars at the bottom of a spiral parking garage. So when the car is
warming up, the first thing it has to do is climb 3 steep ramps. If
I don't choke properly, it can get very painful because I lose
power right when I need a whole lot of it.

  Choking properly to me seems to work best with full choke to
start and quarter choke for a few miles, then release. YMMV. If
I don't choke it, I get your symptoms. If I leave it on full choke
too long, it fouls plugs.

--
   Trevor Boicey             1992 Celica GT (95% of the driving I do)
   Computer Engineer         1975 MG Midget (95% of the repairs I do)