Re: Mult-carb tuning

To: Ken Boetzer <kboetzer@auspex.com>
Subject: Re: Mult-carb tuning
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 07:52:46 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, ingate@shiseis.com
On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Ken Boetzer wrote:

> SNIP
> > The symptoms?  Popping on overrun, hunting on a steady throttle,
> > and coughing when cold.  It accelerates fine, and idles well.
> > I dont see how changing the mains could do this, but maybe I
> > "bumped" something.
> >
> > I'm not sure now how to proceed.  The Haynes manual has precious
> > little.  Should I:
> >     - purchase a carb balancing tool?
> >     - purchase the Bently manual?
> >     - offer a human sacrifice to the Dark Lord Lucas?

        May a poor TR4 owner offer a suggestion?

        Check your distributor VERY carefully... Earlier this year the
        Green Man was going through similar symptoms. After two sets of
        points, a new distributor cap, wires and plugs... not to mention a
        new piston in #1 cylinder. (I heard hoof beats, I thought "zebras"...
        I should have thought "horses"). The trouble was the short wire on the
        distributor plate that is covered in a cloth insulator. On cursory
        inspection the isulator looked intact. When I actually fiddled with
        the wire the insulation fell apart. Once the plate and wire were
        replaced, I ceased having symptoms.

        Thanks to Chris Ball for his advice...

        Searching at Idle could be a symptom of running on the lean side
        (if memory serves).

        BTW, virgins make the best sacrifice for Lucas, but 80 year old
        librarians are so hard to find these days...:*)

        Good lucK
        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois