Re: TR3A Gas tank

To: Angelo Graham <a3graham@mc1adm.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: TR3A Gas tank
From: "Carl Musson (EVENTS)" <musson@arts.usf.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 09:40:52 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Angelo Graham wrote:

> Greetings to the list:
>
> While trying to sort out the tank and gas lines in my 3A, I peered into the
> tank and noticed that it has been coated with some sort of sealer.  This
> stuff seems to be quite hard and appears to be pretty stable.

I am not sure what this stuff is called, but it is fairly common to
"re-seal" a tank with it.  I found it at a Motorcycle shop.

> Unfortunately, not all of the tank seems to be coated.  The very bottom
> section of the TR tank, the long notch section, seems to be coated unevenly,
> with some bare uncoated metal evident.  This section does not seem to be
> rusted, fortunately.  Any potential problems with this stuff?  If not coated
> evenly, can this lead to any problems?

Do you have the tank out?  If so, I would go ahead and finish up the job.
You might never have a problem, but it is easeier now with it out than
later when you have to take it all apart.

> Also, on the TR tank, there is an outlet at the top of the tank, next to the
> filler cap.  This has a banjo fitting and a short metal line attached to it.
> Any idea what this line is for?  Is it some sort of breather?  I assume that
> the feed line to the fuel pump exits from the bottom of the tank? I would

You are correct about it being a breather.  the metal pipe should feed
down through the floor pan and exit beneath the car.  That way you won't
have a recurrent gas smell inside the car.  The gas line should be on the
passenger side about 3" from side.  There should also be a drain plug on
the drivers side in about the same location.  Later '3s had the line
coming from the drivers side.

> assume also that the addition of an in line fuel filter would be a good
> idea.

VERY DEFINITELY.  Best placement?  My choice is right before the first
carb connection although I have seen them just before and just after the
fuel pump.  Not as easy to get to, but in the case of just before, it
might cut down on the junk going into the pump.

> Thanks in advance for any information.

No problem...  Hope the beast is getting close to being on the road...

> Angelo Graham
> 1959 TR3A
> Waterloo, Ont.

| CARL F. MUSSON, Coordinator              INTERNET: musson@arts.usf.edu |
| Tampa, FL           Opinions expressed are mine and not of my employer.|
\ '58 TR3A -  http://www.arts.usf.edu/events/musson/triumph/cfm-tr3.html /