Re: Silicone brake fluid.

To: a3graham@mc1adm.uwaterloo.ca
Subject: Re: Silicone brake fluid.
From: jibrooks@juno.com
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 01:55:21 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Angelo,

I used Dot 5 in a 1978 Honda motorcycle successfully for about 5 years
and approximately 25,000 miles.  It has been three years since I sold it
and I have not heard any DPO stories from the owner who lives in town.
Basically, all I did was change the fluid twice, rotating all of the
components to be sure all of the dot 3/4 was out.

The viscosities are different.  The 3/4 will actually appears as little
blobs (balls) int the Dot 5 fluid when it is almost all out.  Be careful,
it is really easy to get bubbles in the 5. They take a while to settle
out if you get them in the fluid.

I had no difficulty in bleeding the lines/calipers, but a bike has a much
smaller system to bleed. Also, I had no rubber/plastic related problems
with the riceburner brakes, but have not used the Dot 5 in my Norton yet
and no experience with a TR.

Good luck.

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, New Jersey