Re: Sanity Check on TR 6 ownership

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sanity Check on TR 6 ownership
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 96 11:11:16 PDT
Carol Z wrote:
        > [snip]
        > .... Is the first year of ownership always so trying ?
        > [snip]

Only the first year?  Perhaps it is time to 'fess up my own experiences,
good, bad, indifferent and expensive as they are:

We bought "Rags" ('74 TR6 #CF25186) on 4 April 1991 in San Diego for
$4100.  Originally a Santa Barbara car, we were the 4th owners.
Odometer had been disconnected and read 74K miles.  The car ran
well but needed new clutch throwout bearings.  It had a little rust
in the passenger rocker box, and around the body mount bolts in the
floorpan on the drivers side.  It had a very-poor respray (signal red, not
the original Carmine Red), and the interior seats/carpets were rotted
out.  Tires were worn.

As far as I can tell, the head has never been removed.  Good
compression all round.

In the past Rags has been undergoing a slow rolling restoration.  In
the past 5 years, I guess I have put in another $4000 (!!! I dont want
to look at the receipts!) which included:
        rebuilt clutch
        rebuilt brakes
        rebuilt carbs
        new tires
        roll bar
        zillions of parts (gaskets, vacuum/fuel/water hoses, water
                pump, tail light lenses, front shocks, spin-on oil
                filter, freeze plugs, "bullet" mirrors, luggage rack,
                tonneau repairs, seat belts, OD switch, tools, *missing*
                little bits, steering rack, expendables, etc, etc, etc).
        a lot of time "cleaning", solving wiring problems, etc.

Still waiting to do:
        eliminate the canary living under the bonnet
        remove rust
        new paint (the red paint did clean up nicely, but I'd prefer
                Carmine!)
        new interior (seat material, carpets, boot, etc)
        new top
        new body mounts
        new suspension bushings
        new muffler (Monza?)
        Pannasports
        mild performance engine work
        etc, etc, etc

Wow.  It does not look like I've spent over $8K on this car, but I
have, and its scary, because it still looks the same as when we bought
it, albeit cleaner and shinier).  Now I understand reading
advertisments that read like "invested big $$$, selling for pennies".
The real sink for money must be the labor, because I am a marginal
mechanic at best, and the more complicated jobs I've had pay a shop.

On the other hand, "Rags" has been a daily driver (5K miles/year),
giving problems only three times in 5 years (ran out of fuel, blown
water pump, blown freeze plug) but only one of those required a tow home.

I've a long way to go.  I'm always envious of those on the list who
are skilled enough to "bring back from the dead" a LBC for little
money.  I can see Rags consuming a lot more money, and it still would
not win any prizes.

Would we part with Rags?  Should we get out while not too far behind?
Hell, no.  The joy of a LBC is hardly subtle, the smell of oil, the
sound of a throaty 6, and besides, there is more skin and blood on
that engine than oil now.

Welcome.  LBC ownership is not a nightmare, just a hint of lunacy.

        Shane Ingate in San Diego