Haynes Spitfire Manual (book report)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Haynes Spitfire Manual (book report)
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 20:56:20 -0400
Worldly Scions,

I bought a new Haynes Spitfire manual last week.  $11.99 from the
local NAPA store.  A couple of dollars cheaper than the "usual"
vendors.  I was expecting to get a new copy of the Haynes manual
that I already have (without the greasy fingerprints all over the
pages).  My old one was beginning to fall apart.  I was pleasantly
suprized to find that Haynes has re-written their book.

The "old" Haynes; sub-titled "Owners Workshop Manual"
copyright 1973, 1978 / 263 pages / gray cover:

The old Haynes was OK and made a good supplement / companion
to the Bentley manual.  It had a couple of serious (IMHO)
deficiencies though.  There was not much information on the "later"
Spits (especially US spec.).  ZS carbs were barely mentioned.
There were not many good line drawings to refer to.
The small B&W photos were poorly reproduced.  In all fairness,
the *original* photos were probably awful. ;-)

The "new" Haynes; sub-titled "Automotive Repair Manual"
copyright 1983, 1986, 1987, 1988 / 310 pages / blue cover:

The new Haynes is much better.  The previous "supplement" with
the US deviations is gone.  This information has been updated
and integrated into the proper chapters.  The chapter on carbs
is expanded, covering all applicable SU and ZS units in detail.
The later model cars are covered, including the US emissions
"enhancements".  There are many new, *clear*, larger-than-a-
postage-stamp photos.  Lots more details and photos are provided
in the transmission & overdrive chapter.  The electrical
schematics are new (to me) and layed out in a more logical manner.
There are 13 wiring diagrams vs. 8 in the old book.

I think it's worth buying this book, even if you (as I do)
have the "old" Haynes and a Bentley manual.  There is enough
new / improved material to make it useful.

Now if only they could do the same for my Ford Truck and Saturn
Haynes manuals....

Bob Sykes  (s1500@aol.com)    -  - -     __,@_\____
'78 Spitfires                   -  --    }-0-----0->