New Gear Oil Info

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: New Gear Oil Info
From: Patrick McMullen <mcmullen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 16:31:46 -0700
Trevor and Dan,

I made a few calls regarding GL-5 gear lubes and manual transmissions.
There is a new specification that is optional to comply with.  It is
called:  MT-1.  You need to find out if your lubricant complies with it.
I talked to the folks at Amsoil, Red Line, and Valvoline and they all
told me the same thing.  The MT-1 specification says that any gear oil
specified for manual transmissions must NOT be corrosive to yellow
metals.  No matter what the GL-rating.  Amsoil 75W-90 GL-5 meets the MT-1
spec.
I also found out that most non-synthetic gear lubes become corrosive
aboue 200° F.  Some synthetics raise that to 260° F.  Red Line and Amsoil
have lubes that are good up to 350° F.  But they meet the MT-1 spec so it
doesn't matter.

Hope this clears up some uncertainty.

Pat in NC