Tire width and suspension wear

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tire width and suspension wear
From: lars.johnsen@hd.uib.no (Lars G. Johnsen)
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 02:12:51 +0200
Hi all,

I have been reading the thread on tire width and suspension wear (Peter
Juergens and Ken Streeter) and would like to know something more about it.
Given that 185x15 tires are beginning to get hard to come by (the ones on
my car are 185x15 reconditioned Michelin XVS), I am considering a switch to
wider low profile tires.

Peter says that low profile tires will wear out the suspension, and I have
learned from others that suspension wear is common for cars that are fitted
with tires that are wider than what the car was designed for. Now, the
question is this:

(1) What is it that wears down in the suspension when grippier tires are
fitted? (rubber, stub axles, shocks, springs, etc.)

(2) How fast will the suspension wear, and how does it vary with tire width
and profile? As far as I know a 185/65 tire will leave a bigger footprint
than a standard 185 tire (width is not the width of the tread but the width
of the widest part of the inflated tire).

I would guess some of the experienced autocrossers on the list would have
opinions on these these matters.

Best

Lars G. Johnsen '74 TR6 CF27324UO
Bergen, Norway