Re: ignition switch locking<96Sep12.201016-0700pdt.270008-4475+447@aphex

To: James Cullen <jcullen@direct.ca>
Subject: Re: ignition switch locking<96Sep12.201016-0700pdt.270008-4475+447@aphex.direct.ca>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 09:05:52 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>I was hoping somebody might be able to shed some light on an intermittent
>problem I've been having lately. My ignition switch locks so that I can not
>turn my key. This used to be every couple of weeks, but lately has been
>almost on a daily basis. It also occurs even when the steering wheel is not
>locked. I can eventually turn the key, I usually try turning the wheel and
>playing with the key and after a few minutes (2-5 minutes - a bit
>frustrating to say the least) for no reason whatsoever the key will turn.
>Any ideas what the problem is?

I had this happen to two ignition locks on my 73 Spit, it turned out that the
ignition barrel had cracked on both occassions allowing the first couple of
brass tumblers in the lock to come out and jam.  I managed to prize these out
my a very small screwdriver and a pair of tweezers(Also a cricked neck!!!)

Just take a quick look and see if you can see a crack between the slot the key
fits in and the outer edge of the barrel, hope this makes sense.

Rich

Proud owner of 'The worst car at Hilvarenbeek 1996' Holland, also, it may make
it's debut in Classic Car magazine sometime too....:-)

Northampton
England.