wrong trannies >>worn thrust washers

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: wrong trannies >>worn thrust washers
From: PiJay@t-online.de (Peter Juergens)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 10:18 +0100
Hi to all that are interested,

In the nower days itīs quite common to interchange transmissions.

The problem is: There is quite a big difference between 4- and 6-cylinder
transmissions, although they look same.

The pivot on front of the input shaft is the small/big difference.
- On 4 cyl. gearboxes itīs long (approx. 1">2"?)...
- On 6 cyl. g...            much shorter (think below 1")...
The crank of the 6īs is bored deep only for the short type of shaft!!

So what happens is:
1. 4cyl-transm. + 6cyl-engine
- the longer In-shaft puts force onto the crank in (I think) lateral direction.
This force is directly transferred to your thrust washers!
( !! BTW do you in US/UK secure the thrust washers during a rebuild too ?? )

The end!!! Engine is ruined within some hundred mls!

2. 6cyl-transm. + 4cyl-engine
- I donīt really know why a genuine 6cyl combination works fine with the short
pivot, but we found the input bearing running at with this on a 4cyl.

Anyway does someone know when BPSL switched to the later top cover,
now referring to Chrisīs shifter problem on his TR250?

BFN

Peter Juergens
PiJay@t-online.de
Dortmund/Germany