Re: [what year is my car discussion]

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [what year is my car discussion]
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 16:43:07 +0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Barry Schwartz wrote:

> >>Just picked up a new, well to me anyway, 1963 TR4.  Actually had it for
>about
> >>two months now, just about ready to drive it.  Serial is CT5368LO.  I have
> >>been told that this serial is, in fact, a very early 1962 model but DMV just
> >> snip..
> >
> >My Mark II Spitfire shows a 1967 date on the DMV title here in NC but the
> >certificate from BMIHT shows a build date of 1965!!

> >Ralph Jannelli
> --------------------reply
>seperator---------------------------------------------
> Prior to the early 70' it was common practice for the dealer to register the
> cars for the year in which it first sold - not the dat of manufacture.  As
> you can see this leads to much confusion when trying to spec the car for
> parts.  Your best bet is to go with the commission number.
>
> Barry Schwartz

Always good practice, and one that spares manuals always advise. Joseph,
the Herald about which I driveled on so yesterday, carries paperwork
stating it to be a 1962. However, a couple of Lucas parts that I
definitely know to be original to the car carry early 1960 date codes. I
have not gotten a certificate on the car, but it most likely is a car
built in late spring or early summer of 1960. Heralds had a mediocre
reputation when first introduced, so it would not surprise me that this
car sat awhile on a lot before being sold -- maybe until late 1961 or
early 1962 calendar year.

OTOH, my first TR3A, built 3/28/60, has always carried a 1960
registration year. Guess they sold better at the time than did Heralds!

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *