Re[2]: Body (Car silly !) work hints please

To: jimdav6@aol.com
Subject: Re[2]: Body (Car silly !) work hints please
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 15:16:07 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hello,

I realize that this discussion took place over two weeks ago, but I just
wanted to add a couple of details.

The flat-black on TR6's was in 3 areas:

1. the tail, on 70 and newer TR6's. By tail, I mean the area that is
"indented" above the bumper and from one side to the other. I think
everybody agrees on this one.

2. The rocker panels. These were covered with some kind of undercoating
material. It was black, but it was not paint per se. In fact, it might
have been applied over body color. It more or less had a "rolled on"
finish, as opposed to sprayed, and it had a lot of texture.

3. One area that folks forget to black out is in the grill area. My car
was flat black there too. The area that was painted was the little "shelf"
under the "finisher" strip, you know the one with the plastic that
blisters as the metal behind it corrodes to nothingness... and the area
behind the grill (obvious) and also the part of the "wings" that are
adjacent to the grill. I can't remember exactly, but I think the lower
lip of the bonnet might have been blacked out too.

I recall "3" as being a real pain to describe to the paint shop when I
had my TR6 re-sprayed. In short, he didn't do _any_ of the above
correctly. For instance the rear was sprayed only up to the wing lines so
that the outer part of the "indented"  part was body color. I got sick of
explaining to folks why it was that was way and I re-sprayed the back
myself one day. My paint guy sprayed the rockers body color with "chip
guard" paint. It looks okay, but is certainly not correct.

If you want correct, you need to do it yourself or bring it to somebody
that knows what to do. The only problem with bringing it to someone is
that it'll cost you $$$

bye,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? Why 3.5, of course.