Bounce: Non-member submission from [token@ridgecrest.ca.us]

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bounce: Non-member submission from [token@ridgecrest.ca.us]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 23:38:01 -0600

     From: token@ridgecrest.ca.us
     Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 20:58:11 -0700 (PDT)
     Subject: New TR4 Owner

Hello to one and all.

Well this is my second posting (but fifth attempt!) to this list and I am
rather a novice to the net in general, so pardon (but by all means correct)
any glaring errors in Net manors or procedures.  The spelling errors, on
the other hand, are all mine.

Just picked up a new, well to me anyway, 1963 TR4.  Actually had it for about
two months now, just about ready to drive it.  Serial is CT5368LO.  I have
been told that this serial is, in fact, a very early 1962 model but DMV just
will not take my word for it, and I do not know were to get the references.
I got it for what I thought was a song and the former owner thought was more
than it was worth, so I geuss we are both happy.  I have owned other
Triumphs before (all Spits, all long ago) so I am at least a little bit
aware of the joys of Triumph ownership.

A couple of questions (well a few).
1.  I have found a good bit of info on TR4A's on the net but very little on
the TR4 itself, can someone point me in the right direction, or is the info
basically the same for both of these cars?
2.  The odometer shows 27,200 miles, anybody have any pointers of things to
look at to help determine if this is 127,200 or not?
3.  The engine runs, but the back two holes (is this 1 and 2?) miss under
acceleration, anywere to start?  It has been fifteen years since I owned a
car with points!
4.  Are spin on filters and the adapter worth the effort?  And yes this may
become a daily driver, there is just enough sheet metal damage (dents, no
rust) that building something perfect out of it would be a lot of expense.
5.  I am thinking about a poor mans rebuild (re-ring and do the head) as
a temporary fix until I can do a proper rebuild (1, 2 years?).  Lots and
lots of blue smoke, I am sure glad that it is to early to need smog.  The oil
preasure is great so I do not think bearings are in order.  Compression
is 145, 153, 155, 135 . . . is this good, bad or what?  And can the pistons
and connecting rods come out through the top of the cylinder?  Or is the
Big End to big.
6.  An interesting problem, there appears to be preasure (more than 15 pounds)
in the cooling system.  This is causing the motor to blow out, but not boil
out, the coolant.  All of the coolant comes out the overflow tube.  There is
no coolant in the oil, no white smoke, and compression as I stated above.
Could this be the Head Gasket?  But only working one way?
7.  And finally, does anyone have a column mounted O.D. switch they need to
get rid of?  Also an Overdrive selenoid, my pull in coil is shot.  (Suprise!)
I have catalogs on the way from Moss, The Roadster Factory, and Victoria
British LTD. so I do not have any idea what is availible commercially yet.

Sorry for the bandwidth, Thanks and cheers.

Darrell Leach
KD6LRC   DM-15
Ridgecrest, Ca
email: token@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us