U-joint (not) sound

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: U-joint (not) sound
From: Chris and Karen Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 12:04:39 -0700
Cc: "'British Car List'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Fellow Scions,
        Last weekend I replaced both the axle shaft u-joints, neccesitated by
the virtual
explosion of the left side one.  The prop shaft was changed @ 3000 miles ago.
I can
still hear what sounds an awful lot like the precursor of a u-joint going out.
Can this be something
in the diff?  It is the original 4.11:1 from my 72 Spitfire MK IV.  I have
swapped out the standard
three rail four speed for a J type O/D unit from a 76 and the speedo gearing in
the trans is matched with
the 3.89:1.  This being the case, I'm not opposed to swapping out the 4.11 for
a freshly rebuilt
3.89, but until I find a reputable source here in the SF bay area (any
reccomendations?),
I need to know if this is really the source of my clunking noise.

Any suggestions, comments are greatly appreciated.

Chris "hey---that's not how that drum solo from In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida goes" Prugh