RE- Cam timing on LBCs

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE- Cam timing on LBCs
From: PiJay@t-online.de (Peter Juergens)
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 96 14:50 +0100
Hello everybody,

Ok, Brian, the Cam Timing:
I had the same problem some days/years ago,..

This should IMO be a guide to time any given cam, assuming one thing:
At 103° after TDC, #1-Inlet valve should be fully open. I found this point on
all
camshafts I worked with (TRīs 4 + 6 cyl. and spits and "modern bastards" too)

If you set the cam some degrees (up to approx. 5°) earlier, you will shift your
powerrange a bit to the upper RPMīs, maybe gain a bit HP, but loose some torque.
If you do it the other way round, it works the other way i.e. youīll gain
torque.
(( long speech  short sense )) direct translation!  :-)

??? BTW: can someone tell me, what a f.. hacksaw is, I couldnīt find it in my
dictio.???

lets start:
1. turn the engine to the point where #1-Inlet is fully open (best determined
   with a dial ga(u)ge on top of the valve cap)
2. slacken the cam gear
3. get the engine to 103° after TDC ( use a degree wheel on the pulley)
4. now try to find the right holes in the cam gear
5. thatīs it

If you have trouble with Nr.4, believe me, a halve teeth will make no
difference
at all.

I wish happy work!

Peter Juergens