Cam Timing on Spitfire 1500

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cam Timing on Spitfire 1500
From: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 18:57:48 -0400
I am installing a new cam (270 duration from British Parts in Oregon. We'll
see.)  on my Spit 1500 (75 Federal model).  The new sprockets had no timing
marks, soooo.......I followed the insturctions in the Autopress book on how
to set it up: #1 Piston at TDC.  #1 and #2 lobes at "point of balance" (one
lobe coming off equally to the other lobe coming on).

Question is this:  will this technique be accurate for this non-stock cam?

Any better ideas?  I am ready to button up the front and just wanted to make
sure I am doing it right.

Your help and experience is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I had the engine bored .020 over.  Went with flat top pistons, and
milled .060 off the head to raise the CR.  I made a wax model of the
combustion chamber and measured it in a graduated cylinder of water (44 cc
when accounting for gasket space) and did the math.  The CR seems to come out
around 9.6.  I will be installing a Weber 32/36 DGV and tubular 4 into 1
header with straight through exhaust.  Can any one guess what I might expect
for performance and HP?  This jumble is going into the 65 Spit.

Brian N

79 Spitfire
65 Spitfire
63 Consul Capri