FW: Spitfire Cams

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Spitfire Cams
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <VINCENR@transamerica.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 96 16:52:00 PDT
Encoding: 41 TEXT
On Tues,  Andrew Murchison wrote
  After sorting out relatively minor issues related to my new twin
weber set-up ( jets, idle mixture-still not right- and syncronization),
I've decided that maybe a hotter cam would be a nice addition.
 The main question is:  Does anyone out there have suggestions,
reccomendations, success stories or utter failures that I should know
about when choosing a cam?  In particular I'd like to find a fast
road grind (Piper, Kent, others?), associated valve springs and
anything else I may need.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Andrew, my friend, you are in luck.  I just happen to have here in my office
the most recent catalog from Iskenderian Cams, out here in lovely Gardena,
CA.  "Isky" lists 5 separate grinds for the Spitfire cam (you have to supply
the cam, as they do not carry them as a shelf item), ranging from "Stock
Refinish" to "Combination" to "Competition" (2 grinds) to "Super
Competition".  They also offer outer valve springs, inner valve springs, and
chrome moly tubular pushrods.  Price for a regrind is about $81.00 which
includes CA tax (although I always thought "services" were not taxed, only
"goods").  The "combination" grind shows lift of .375 and duration of 260
deg.  The "super comp." grind shows lift of .480 and duration of 300 deg.
 The "comp" grinds fall in between.

I just had them do the combination grind for my Mk I Spitfire and it was
done in about 5 days.  You could ship the cam to them and they will return
if you pay postage.  Telephone no. is (213) 770-0930 and fax is (310)
515-5730 (yes, I know the area code is different - no, I don't know why).
 BTW the grind nos. are as follows:

stock     HR-8-003
combo     E4-58A (see above)
comp ZM-66 (.430 lift/268 deg.)