TR-6 interior rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-6 interior rebuild
From: TTone007@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 23:15:50 -0400
O' Faithful Ones;

After most of the summer and many missed "top down days" I have finally
completed my clutch rebuild and interior refurbishment on my 74 TR-6. After
advise from many fellow Sol types, I sanded , welded, and painted the seat
frames, replaced the diaphrams, refoamed and recovered the seats too. Here's
a couple of tips I picked up.

1: To stretch the diaphram clips to the seat frame I used an open end wrench
with a rag stuffed into the palm of my hand for protection. All clips go down
but back two go up to prevent carpet snags.

2: Most of the seat foam kits come without the lower perimeter foam and
headrest foams. This means a trip to the fabric store for additional foam.

3. I pop rivited the side pull down seat clips to the masonite seat side
forms. It useless to try to save the original brads. BUT I highly suggest
trimming and rounding off the top front corner of these masonite forms. The
stock forms have a very sharp corner in this area that not only sticks you in
the gut when you get in and out of the car, but they will also cut thru the
new seat cover in this spot in short order! I took my trusty diagonal cutters
and simply shaved and sanded this area in a rounded off pattern which
protects me and my new seat cover. You can actually pull these forms out
while the seats are bolted in the car to do this mod.

My new interior really made a huge difference in creature comforts and I can
drive longer distances with much less fatigue, etc...I also did the door
panels, wheel arches, and back panel too.

Thanks to all,
Mike Konopka