1963 TR4 fuel pump

To: Bitparts@aol.com
Subject: 1963 TR4 fuel pump
From: EUlm890623@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 23:08:34 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Finally had my 63 TR4 on the road after four years.  Was running well until
>the fuel pump kicked out.  The sediment bowl had a good 3/4 inch of
sediment.
> Cleaned that out and nursed the car home.  The pump is still not pumping
>enough fuel.  Question.  Should I start by taking the top of the pump off or
>should I remove the whole thing.  The workshop manuel is very sketchy on
fuel
>pumps.  About all it has is a drawing of one.

Warren,

Personally,  I would pull the fuel pump on your 63 TR4 to do the rebuild. Its
only two nuts and I've done it by the roadside (the dowel pin holding the
pump lever tends to slip out). Do it on a workbench, it will decrease lower
back pain.

Speaking of pains in the but, the fuel system on my 1963 TR4 was giving me
problems a few years ago. I would be driving along working on my tan when zap
the car would  die. I had to refill the float bowls on the carbs manually to
get going again. Thought it was the fuel pump, but no!!!  The  problem was
little crusty rust particles coming out of my seemingly rust free gas tank. I
had to drain the tank and take it to a radiator shop to have it resealed.
 End of problem. However draining a full gas tank on my TR4 was one of the
least enjoyable experiences I have ever had. Yes I too work on cars because
it is a relaxing hobby.

"Life's a Gas"

Eddy Ulm
1980 Spitfire 1500