Clackety Clack (TR6 valves - 2 questions)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Clackety Clack (TR6 valves - 2 questions)
From: jim.sudduth@autodesk.com
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 11:00:20 PST
     Hi Fellow Listers:

     I recently did the head on my '74 TR6 and had the hardened valve seats
     installed for unleaded gas. I also replaced all the valves, guides and
     valve springs, so this puppy is like new (I hope...).

     My problem is that I can't seem to get the valves to be as quiet as
     they were before. I've adjusted them numerous times and checked and
     rechecked the head and rocker arm shaft torque. After I adjust them
     they're quiet for a few miles then they get noisy again.

     Should I expect the hardened seats to cause more valve noise than the
     stock ones?

     Also, I've heard that cam, lifters, pushrods and rocker arms "wear in"
     together when an engine is new and shouldn't be replaced except as a
     group. Is it ok to replace the pushrods and not the rocker arms and/or
     lifters?

     Thanks,
     Jim
     jims@autodesk.com