Re: Moron tightening wire wheels

To: 103136.3056@compuserve.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Moron tightening wire wheels
From: KVacek@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 00:10:02 -0400

<< I'm afraid your theory is wrong. The "tightening" direction is OPPOSITE
the
 forward movement of the wheel, not the same. The "undo" arrow is always
rotating
 in the same direction as the forward rotation of the wheel.

 Were your inertia-based theory correct, hard braking would quickly loosen
the
 nut. >>

It's no use beating this thing any farther.  Physics just doesnt' seem to
satisfy some people.  However, if you will look at any properly-assembled car
(note the "left" or "right" inscription on the nut), you will see that the
tightening direction is the same as the forward-rotation direction of the
wheel.  I don't have an LBC handy at the moment, but I consulted dozens of
photos in 6-7 books including not only Triumphs (TR-3's & -4's), but also

HERESY ALERT !!!

MG 's and Healeys

END HERESY ALERT !!!

and lo and behold, they all TIGHTEN IN THE FORWARD-ROTATION DIRECTION.

Also, all of my wire-wheel equipped cars over the last 31 years have been
assembled that way, & I've never lost a wheel or even had any knock-offs that
were easy to remove with a lead or copper hammer.  They usually take a few
really good whacks.

What else can I say?

-Karl