Re: CA emissions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: CA emissions
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 96 13:11:31 PDT
Ken,

        >> Having said all of that, cars that are "imported" from out of state,
        >> modified engines and non-matching-number engines cannot go to any
        >> smog station, instead they must go direct to the State-run.....

        >Gee, how do they handle engine number matches on Triumphs, where the
engine
        >number didn't match straight from the factory?
        >Does the CARB manual list ranges of numbers?

Good question.  I can only make an educated guess here, but I am
pretty much quoting from the CARB book.  The CARB book does not list
engine numbers (confusing enough for any LBC owner!).  However, when a
car is first registered in CA, whether new or an "imported" old car,
all numbers (frame/VIN/engine/etc where appropriate) get entered into
the Dept of Motor Vehicle (DMV) database.  This database will follow
that car in CA for the rest of its life.  New cars are not subject to
DMV inspection, and so DMV gets the numbers direct from the factory
(or dealer, I dont know which).  "Imported" old cars are inspected
at a DMV station upon application for registration.

When the registration renewal arrives at your house, there is a bar
code at the top of the form, which the smog station guys scan.  This
bar code contains all the information that is in the DMV database.
The VIN etc numbers pop up on the computer screen and the smog station
operators are asked to confirm the numbers.  Non-matching numbers mean
no testee.

I guess I should have been more specific.  Here "non-matching" numbers
means numbers that do not match since the vehicle was last registered.

        Shane Ingate
        Now where'd I put those Webers TR6 in San Diego