[no subject]

To: Alan.McEachran@corp.anixter.com
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:24:17 -0400
Cc: streeter@sanders.com, triumphs@autox.team.net

>      From: Alan.McEachran@corp.anixter.com
>      Date: Thu, 15 Aug 96 13:16:05 csd
>      Subject: How to evaluate a TR6 that's been sleeping a long long time

> I have an opportunity to take a look at a 71 TR6 that's been put away
> ( notice I didn't say stored) for about 5 years....

> The car has 61K mi on it.  Before storage the car
> had the transmission rebuit,J-type overdrive (by a TR shop), a engine
> rebuild (less than 6 hrs on it), and 150 miles on a new clutch.

> Any suggestions on how to approach this one to minimize the risk.  I
> can check all the static stuff that doesn't require electicity or
> internal combustion to work.  I expect the electrical system and the
> brakes to be rough, but what to do about the engine, drivetrain,
> suspension?  I know this probably isn't a unique situation for
> seasoned Triumph people but it is for me, and I need help to assess if
> this is a keeper or not.

First, I am assuming that you've seen the TR6 buyer's guide at
        http://www.vtr.org/TR6/TR6-buying.html

Ask to see repair receipts of the car from the work that was done on it.

You have two basic options with respect to the running gear if you are
not starting the car:

        1)  Assume none of it works, and make an offer appropriately.

        2)  Try to figure out what does work, and go from there.

            With a fresh battery (you bring a spare along), you should be
            able to perform a compression test on a non-running engine.
            This will verify rings, basic compression, and engine turnover.

            Also, put the car up on jackstands and check the condition of
            diff mounts, play in U-joints, play in differential, and
            play in transmission.  Examine the suspension carefully. While
            the car is on stands, check the wheels for excessive play
            up/down, and right/left.

--ken
'74 TR6 Daily Driver

Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631